Starting in 1966, Larry Bell worked out of a studio located at 77 Market Street in Venice, California. In 1969, he renovated the front of the building with a door big enough to install the large custom-made vacuum evaporation system that he acquired to apply thin films to glass as large as 10 by 6 feet. This four-ton piece of machinery, the “Tank” allowed him to construct the large-scale Standing Walls. In 1975 he vacated that space, relocating his studio to Taos, New Mexico.
In 2002 Bell found the need to establish a presence where his work was more visible to collectors. It happened that the 77 Market Street was then available for rent, so again he made it his studio until 2013, at which time he relocated to his current location on Brooks Avenue. This building was originally a Christian Science Church, built in Ocean Park in 1903 and moved to its current location in 1913. It serves as a large, clean space in which he constructs and displays the collage works known as Church Studies.