Starting in 1966, Larry Bell worked out of a studio located at 77 Market Street in Venice, California. In 1969, he renovated the front of the building with a door big enough to install the large custom-made vacuum evaporation system that he acquired to apply thin films to glass as large as 10 by 6 feet. This four-ton piece of machinery, the “Tank” allowed him to construct the large-scale Standing Walls. In 1975 he vacated that space, relocating his studio to Taos, New Mexico.
In 2002 Bell found the need to establish a presence where his work was more visible to collectors. It happened that the 77 Market Street was then available for rent, so again he made it his studio until 2013, at which time he relocated to his current location on Brooks Avenue. This building was originally a Christian Science Church, built in Ocean Park in 1903 and moved to its current location in 1913. It serves as a large, clean space in which he constructs and displays the collage works known as Church Studies.
Larry Bell moved to Taos, NM in 1973, though he kept his Market Street studio until 1975, when the building was sold and the new landlord evicted him. Together with his friend Gus Foster, Bell purchased a large, neglected building that had formerly been the only commercial laundry in New Mexico. Bell moved the “Tank” into the structure as it was being renovated, building the studio around it. He has continued to use this machine to apply thin films to glass and various materials in the time since. He lives and work in Taos roughly six months of the year; the rest of the year he works in Venice or is on the road. His family as well as his staff of many years are located in Taos.